Southampton's young left-back Luke Shaw has been included in England's 23-man squad for the 2014 World Cup - despite only having 45 minutes of International football experience to his name.
England manager Roy Hodgson has opted for the 18-year-old to provide the competition for Everton's Leighton Baines, at the expense of the more experienced Ashley Cole.
The announcement ensures even more headlines for Shaw, who has been rumoured to be the subject of a £25million move to Manchester United in recent days.
Prior to the squad being unveiled, Cole had used his Twitter account to reveal that he would not be selected for the tournament - as well as announcing his retirement from International football. The 33-year-old had previously played 107 times for his country.
Discussing his decision, Hodgson said: "Luke Shaw has had a wonderful season and has captured the headlines with his form and his ability. But it was an incredibly hard decision... Circumstances will prove if it was the right one."
Shaw is joined by Everton's Ross Barkley and Liverpool duo Raheem Sterling and Jordan Henderson, who have also been rewarded for their fine form this season.
Hodgson said: "These young players have impressed themselves on me... Had I picked the squad in October, it would have been different. But I have picked on the performances people have made week after week.
"Players like Sterling have made it so that the national manager couldn't ignore them."
Meanwhile, Michael Carrick has to make do with a spot on England's seven-man stand-by list - along Andy Carroll, with Shaw's Saints team-mate Rickie Lambert getting the nod ahead of the West Ham forward.
England begin their 2014 World Cup Group D campaign against fellow former champions Italy on June 14. Click here to compare odds for England to win World Cup 2014.