Darts is a hugely popular sport in both participation and viewing and there are plenty of betting opportunities to be had when the cream of the crop do battle in major tournaments.
Darts was born as a traditional pub game in the late 1800s and has grown to become a mainstream sport with the world's best players competing for huge cash prizes in various annual and seasonal tournaments.
Arguably one of the most important tournaments in the darts calendar is the William Hill PDC World Darts Championship which takes place anually at Alexandra Palace in London over the festive period. The prize fund is estimated to be in excess of £1 Million, with around £250,000 going to the winner.
Other popular darts events are the Masters, Grand Slam of Darts, Players Championship, and Premier League Darts. Each tournament is highly prestigious and regularly sells out venues as spectators enjoy the party atmosphere of top quality tungston with a drink and a flutter on who they think will come out on top.
The idea of the game is to get to zero from a starting score (typically 501) in as few throws as possible. Each player can throw three darts per visit to the board and must finish by scoring a double in the outer ring or bullseye. The inner ring counts as a treble and therefore the optimum place to aim to quickly reduce your score. The very best players in the world are capable of a 'nine-darter' which means throwing the minimum amount of darts to win a leg, the feat is rarely achieved and is a spectacle to behold.
Notable Darts Players
For many years now, Phil "The Power" Taylor has been a safe bet to win many a darts tournament. Taylor is arguably the greatest ever darts player having won 14 PDC World Championships, 15 World Matchplay titles, 11 World Grand Prix titles, 5 Grand Slams, 6 Premier Leagues, 4 European Championships and 5 UK Opens among a host of other honours. His first title came in the Canadian Open in 1988 and he is still a force to be reckoned with and is among the favourites in the betting for any tournament he enters.
Michael van Gerwen wrested the World Darts Championship crown from Taylor in 2014 when it was sponsored by Ladbrokes for the last time to confirm his rise to prominence in the sport. At 25, "Mighty Mike" has plenty of time to add to his World Championship, World Grand Prix, Premier League, UK Open and Players Championship titles and will be a popular selection for punters.
Adrian Lewis is another player with time on his side and his relentless style of play can be a joy to behold when "The Jackpot" starts hitting the 180's. 2015 World Champion Gary Anderson is another big-hitter and can mix it up with the best when on his game, while Raymond van Barneveld is a former World Champion and proved he still has the appetiite when winning the 2014 Premier League Darts.
The likes of James Wade, Stephen Bunting, Simon Whitlock, Peter Wright, Dave Chisnall and Robert Thornton are also worthy of consideration when placing your darts bets and freebets.com can help you get the most from your darts betting.
We'll provide you with free bets from online bookmakers which can be used to bet on darts, we bring you the latest darts free bet offers, find the best darts odds and we post regular darts betting tips for all the major darts events.
Give yourself the best chance to profit from your darts betting by using free bets available from online bookmakers, get free bet refunds for losing darts bets and compare prices to get the best darts odds, all in one place at Freebets.com.
HOW TO GET FREE DARTS BETS
It's really very simple, online bookmakers tout for new customers by offering free bets or giving deposit bonuses to extend your stay on their internet betting sites which gives you a better chance of winning, at least on the first few visits.
These free bets and free bet bonuses can be used to bet on darts betting markets with one or two conditions. Freebets.com spells out all the terms and conditions of each bookmaker’s introductory free bet offer and deposit bonus to save you the trouble of hunting out the small print.
With the help of Freebets.com you can get access to thousands of pounds worth of free darts bets and there is no easier way to profit from betting than betting for free.
Three easy steps to get free darts bets
1.Choose a free bet; take a look at our extensive list of free bets, check the main conditions for wagering requirements and click 'CLAIM IT NOW when you see an offer you like.
2. Register with the online bookmaker; complete the online registration form and enter the promotion code where appropriate, you'll need to declare your payment details so have them handy. You must be able to trust your bookmaker with your financial details, Freebets.com only promotes reputable bookmakers and you can read our reviews in the Bookmakers section
3. Deposit some funds and place a bet; in most instances you can deposit as little as £5 or £10, but this will restrict the size of your free bet. We recommend starting out with the smaller free bet offers until you find your feet and go with those that match your first bet or deposit or even give you more than your first bet or deposit.
That's all it takes, you can place a darts bet and get free bets in return, we constantly seek out new bookmakers offers and have free bets for all the 'blue chip' bookmakers and many of the new breed of online bookmakers who have joined the competition for the blossoming internet betting business.
HOW TO USE FREE DARTS BETS
It's in the bookmaker's interest to make is easy to place a bet and using your free bet is simple too. Methods of choosing how to use your free bet can vary slightly between bookmakers, if it is the only funding in your account then the free bet will be automatically applied to your bet slip. If not, look for the option to apply your free bet before confirming the bet.
It's been mentioned that there will be restrictions on placing free bets, these are intended to stop people from converting the free bets into instant cash and galloping off into the sunset with the bookmakers hard earned money. Most of these restrictions don't really stop this happening. People with another bookmaker account or better still an account with a betting exchange are able to lock-in a profit from free bets without any risk. You can calculate how much profit can be locked into your free bets with our Back/Lay Hedging Calculator.
In any event, restrictions on free bets are in place and they vary between bookmakers, it is in your best interest to know what to look for, it can save time and disappointment later down the line.
Six things you need to know before using your free darts bets
1. Free bet stakes are not included in returns, you will receive the winnings from the free bet stake
2. Minimum Odds; expect bookmakers to require the free bet to be placed on selections with a minimum price, this can vary between 1/5 (1.20) and 6/4 (2.50)
3. Rollover Requirement; some bookmakers will require your free bet or deposit bonus be wagered a number of times before you can withdraw winnings from the bonus. Obviously, no rollover requirement is best, but with bigger free bet offers this shouldn't necessarily put you off.
4. Free Bet Expiry; you'll normally get 7 or 30 days to use your free bet.
5. Bet Type Restrictions; you are nearly always allowed to use your free bet a single bet and normally free bets can be used in accumulators.
6. Betting product restrictions; free bets are normally restricted to the bookmakers’ sports events and sometimes can be used on Games area. You won't be able to use free bets for pool betting or in the bookmakers’ casino and poker rooms.
DARTS BETTING TIPS
Taking advantage of the free bets available when signing up with online bookmakers is an excellent way to boost your profits from darts betting, you certainly can't lose when using your free bet. But, there are other ways to maximise the value you get from betting on darts. You can insure your darts bet with a variety of free bet refund offers and promotions released by online bookmakers which could result in receiving a free bet as consolation for backing a losing selection.
It's not only free bets that will help your betting bank stretch further, get bonuses that boost the returns from your successful darts bets and make sure you are getting the best darts odds for your selections. At Freebets.com, we think it's a great idea to have accounts with a number of different bookmakers, if you have a debit card there is no reason to leave funds lying around in bookmakers’ accounts and you still have the opportunity to jump onto the best offer or odds for your bet. You just need to know where to find the free bet offers and bonuses or which bookmaker is offering the best darts odds.
This is where Freebets.com comes in, we constantly monitor the free bet offers and promotions from online bookmakers and update the site with around £2000 worth of offers and promotions on any single day. You can visit Freebets.com and check out the latest free bet offers and promotions for darts and compare odds for your selections to make sure you are not missing the best prices.
Alternatively, you can subscribe to our Facebook page or follow us on Twitter where we release news of all the free bet offers and promotions that we add to the website. We don't pretend to be betting tipsters, but we can help you select wisely by bringing you important darts betting news and pointing out where to find the best darts odds in our regular darts betting related articles.
The only darts betting tips you'll ever need
1. Open accounts with a number of different bookmakers; the more free bets the better
2. Take the best odds for your darts bets; compare bookmakers odds and work out your potential returns using our Betting Calculator
3. Find free bet refunds and pay out bonuses; see if they will benefit your horse racing bet, follow our daily updates on Facebook and Twitter and you'll never miss an offer.