There’s plenty of action for punters to get stuck into on Melbourne Cup day, and we will be providing you the best tips and odds from bet365′s racing expert, Pat Cooney, focusing on the big meeting at Flemington.
All you need to know about the race
- What - 2023 Melbourne Cup
- Where - Flemington Racecourse, Australia
- When - 7th November, 2023 - 4am GMT
- How to watch - UK customers: Sky Racing, bet365 website (if a bet is placed on the race)
- Odds - To win – Vauban 16/5, Gold Trip 7/1, Future History 18/1
Saddlecloth number 18 has only been carried to victory once 90 years ago, in 1932, on the great Peter Pan.
Top Picks: Lexus Melbourne Cup (Race 7)
- Pick 1 Vauban @ 16/5
- Pick 2 Gold Trip @ 7/1
- Pick 3 Future History @ 18/1
- View Melbourne Cup latest betting odds from bet365
Victory for Vauban?
Willie Mullins, the Master of Closutton, has endured a long affinity with the famous race, and this looks to be his best ever chance of landing the Melbourne Cup with five-year-old Vauban at 16/5.
bet365 spokesperson Pat Cooney had this to say:
“We have to go back to 2013 to find the last winning favourite in the Melbourne Cup, which was won by Fiorente trained by the legendary Gai Waterhouse, but there’s no denying that this year’s market leader, Vauban, has plenty in his favour.
He’s been very well-backed for this since winning impressively at Royal Ascot by seven lengths.
He was cut from 25/1 to 8/1 for the Melbourne Cup after that and then to 5/1 after another win in August.
Once Ryan Moore was confirmed as his rider and given a favourable draw in stall 3, he then shortened again to his current price.
He is by far the best-backed runner in the race, but of course, it remains a very competitive race, and we have many betting options available, so well worth having a look.”
Gold Trip Going For His Second Consecutive Win
Last year’s winner, Gold Trip, is running as well as he ever has and is Pat Cooney’s personal favourite to take the trophy again, currently priced at 7/1.
This year, he’s seen impressive lead-up runs in all three forms, winning at set weights at the Turnbull Stakes, placing third in handicaps at the Caulfield Cup and at weight-for-age when coming fifth in the Cox Plate – this is the type of form you want to see a horse go into the Melbourne Cup with.
He has been drawn beautifully in gate two this year, an improvement on last year’s 13, and has a new rider, James McDonald, regarded as one of the best in the business.
That being said, only five horses have won multiple Melbourne Cups, with the last being Makybe Diva in 2005, which shows how hard it is.
Future History ridden by Hollie Doyle is a ‘lively outsider’
Fancy upping the excitement by backing an outsider? Well, Pat Cooney has Future History down to provide an excellent ride at 18/1.
Talented British rider Hollie Doyle, will be looking to make an impression as she is set to have her first-ever ride in a Melbourne Cup on Tuesday with the six-year-old Future History.
Future History won The Bart Cummings last month at Flemington, his best-ever long-distance form, which has raised questions on how the pair will perform at the Melbourne Cup.
Serpentine closely followed Future History at the Bart Cummings, coming in third place and will also be running in the Melbourne Cup, priced at an even risker 40/1 and wearing the dreaded number 18 saddlecloth!
Significant Open Account Offer T&Cs
- Available to new customers only. Make a qualifying deposit of £5* or more and claim the offer within 30 days of registering your account to qualify for 300% of that amount in Bet Credits, up to a maximum of £30* in Bet Credits. Once released, your Bet Credits will be held in your account balance and are non-withdrawable.
- To release your Bet Credits for use, you must place qualifying bets to the value of your qualifying deposit (capped at £10*), and they must settle within 30 days of claiming the offer. Only qualifying bets placed and settled after claiming the offer will count towards this requirement.
- Apple Pay, Google Pay, PayPal, Paysafecard and all other prepaid credit and debit cards, where available, cannot be used for either your qualifying deposit or any subsequent withdrawal of returns from Bet Credits stakes unless we have successfully verified an accepted form of your Identity Documents and you have entered a Postal Verification Code (PVC), or we have successfully verified two accepted forms of your Identity Documents. See condition 2 of full Terms and Conditions for details.
- Bets placed must meet certain conditions to count towards the release of your Bet Credits:
- Must contain at least one selection at odds of 1/5 (1.20) or greater.
- Only the largest cumulative stake on an individual selection within a market/fixture combination (either pre-match or In-Play) will count towards the settled bets requirement.
- Where a stake has been partially Cashed Out, only the remaining active stake will count.
- Where a bet has been edited using our Edit Bet feature, only the new stake on the new bet will count.
- Fully Cashed Out, Instant Games, Gaming, Free Bets, void bets, In-Play bets which are settled as a push or Fantasy Sports entries, will not count.
- Your Bet Credits are non-withdrawable, and Bet Credits stakes are not included in any returns. Any returns from Bet Credits placed will be added to your Withdrawable Balance. Bet Credits cannot be used on certain products, offers/promotions and bet types. See full Terms and Conditions for details.
Your Bet Credits will be forfeited and removed if your account is inactive for 90 consecutive days.
*All odds are correct at the time of writing. bet365 has a range of useful tools to help you stay in control of your gambling that can be found at https://responsiblegambling.bet365.com/en
18+, Terms and Conditions Apply, registration required, begambleaware.org
Available to players in the UK and Ireland.
Largest betting brand in regards to gross revenue 2021/22. Request details from PO Box 4693, bet365 Verifiability, Stoke-On-Trent ST4 9PA