Cricket is as popular today as it has ever been and live betting provided by online bookmakers has enabled punters to immerse themselves in the action from the coin toss until the final result. With markets on series winners, top batsman (run scorers), top bowler (wicket takers) and more, bets can be taken on almost every aspect of cricket.
Cricket is played a variety of different formats with test cricket considered to be the highest level of the game. Played at international level, test cricket is usually played in a group of matches called a series such as the bi-annual Ashes Series between England and Australia. These first-class cricket matches can last up to five days and a series normally consists of three to five matches. Test cricket matches lend themselves nicely to in-play betting with most bookies offering plenty of markets to go at during the game, remembering that any games not concluded within an allotted time are drawn.
Maintaining concentration and choosing your moment to score runs is key in test cricket and there have been some truly great batsmen to grace the game over the years.
Top 5 Run Scorers In Test Cricket
1. Sachin Tendulkar (India) – 15921 runs
2. Ricky Ponting (Australia) – 13378 runs
3. Jacques Kallis (South Africa) – 13289 runs
4. Rahul Dravid (India) – 13288 runs
5. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri-Lanka) – 11988 runs
Taking wickets in test cricket can prove just as hard as scoring runs and some players have also proven to have a particular knack in this department.
Top 5 Wicket Takers In Test Cricket
1. Muttiah Muralitharan (Sri-Lanka) – 800 wickets
2. Shane Warne (Australia) – 708 wickets
3. Anil Kumble (India) – 619 wickets
4. Glenn McGrath (Australia) – 563 wickets
5. Courtney Walsh (West Indies) – 519 wickets
Limited Overs Cricket
Limited Overs cricket offers a slightly less tactical take on the game with more emphasis on scoring runs in one day internationals and Twenty20 formats.
ODI’s may occasionally continue into a second day because of bad weather, but cannot be drawn and for this reason are used in knockout compeitions such as the Cricket World Cup.
Top 5 Run Scorers In ODI Cricket
1. Sachin Tendulkar (India) – 18426 runs
2. Ricky Ponting (Australia) – 13704 runs3. Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri-Lanka) – 13430 runs
4. Kumar Sangakkara (Sri-Lanka) – 12844 runs
5. Mahela Jayawardene (Sri-Lanka) – 11837 runs
T20 Cricket is played at a much faster pace with most games taking around three hours to complete, making them more appealing for casual fans looking to have a bet. The T20 format is used for the Twenty20 World Championship contested by international sides and the Indian Premier League (IPL) along with the Twenty20 Champions League for domestic teams which both attract large audiences and are extremely popular with punters.
Hitting the boundary often and scoring regular sixes is the best way to maximise the amount of runs scored from 20 overs.
Top 5 players To Hit The Most Career T20 Sixes
1. Chris Gayle (West Indies) – 459 sixes
2. Kieron Pollard (West Indies) – 320 sixes
3. Brendon McCullom (New Zealand) – 246 sixes
4. Dwayne Smith (West Indies) – 243 sixes
5. David Hussey (Australia) – 230 sixes
The largest T20 winning margin by runs was recorded by Sri Lanka v Kenya when they won by 172 runs in the World Cup. Countless sides have won by 10 wickets over the years, while Indian side Jharkhand hold the record for the most balls remaining at 100 and Sri Lanka have the record at international level having 90 remaining when beating Netherlands in early 2014.