The Champions League is the undisputed pinnacle of European football and with the very best in the game looking to crack the continent each season, here is our guide on the famous competition.
We will detail the best Champions League free bets available, enhanced odds deals and much more, as bookmakers go all out to provide the best deals for the greatest club competition in world football.
Latest Betting Update - January
The Champions League is nearing a return, after a mid-season break due to the World Cup. We are back in February, when the round of 16 will kick us off, and we have some intriguing ties to look forward to.
Here is the last 16 draw:
- Manchester City vs. RB Leipzig
- Benfica vs. Club Brugge
- Real Madrid vs. Liverpool
- Tottenham vs. AC Milan
- Napoli vs. Eintracht Frankfurt
- Chelsea vs. Borussia Dortmund
- Porto vs. Inter Milan
- Bayern Munich vs. PSG
Champions League Free Bet Offers
Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- The world's favourite online sports betting company
- Bet365 offers an amazing App including Live Streaming
- The most comprehensive In-Play service
GET £40 In Bonuses when you stake £10Terms & Conditions Apply
- Special bets and promotions as their popular double delight offers
- Strong emphasis on UK and Irish markets
- Daily Odds Boosts and special prices
Bet £10, Get £30 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- Best betting odds & games
- Play the widest and best range of online slots machines at Bet UK
- Best UK offers our players one of the best selections of casino
Bet £20, And get it Back as Cash if it LosesTerms & Conditions Apply
- Excellent football odds from leagues all over the world
- Fun promotional offers and incentives for all customers
- State of the art mobile app for betting on the go
Bet £10 Get £30 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- The world’s biggest betting exchange
- Fixed odds, cashback specials and bonuses added to winnings on multiple bets
- Wide range and coverage of daily enhanced odds offers
Bet £10 Get £40 in free bets (Mobile Only)Terms & Conditions Apply
- Listed on the Stock exchange and licensed in UK and EU
- Wide range of William hill promo code offers when signing up
- Diverse range of games, betting and gambling
How It Began
Although the Champions League era of the competition has only been in operation for 30 years, the tournament itself has a much richer history and with it previously being operated as the European Cup, the first edition took place during the 1955/56 season.
Which means in either the European Cup or Champions League iterations, this competition has more than a half-century of history to look back on and although the format has changed since its name change, the ethos of Europe’s premier club tournament is the same.
An ethos that pits the very best that Europe has to offer against each other and although this competition was viewed with suspicion by the Football League in its early years, English teams now love nothing more than being the kings of the continent.
When it comes to this competition as a whole, there is only one team that springs to mind and with Real Madrid winning either the European Cup or Champions League on no fewer than 14 separate occasions, it is fair to say that their relationship with this trophy is symbiotic.
A relationship that arguably made the competition what it is today and with Los Blancos winning the first five editions of the European Cup between 1956 and 1960, they were the first ever superstar team to be built.
While although they do not have such a monopoly on proceedings these days, they still possess the nous to win and in recent times, their Galactico’s have created a Champions League dynasty of their own.
A dynasty that was formed between 2014 and 2018 and with the Santiago Bernabeu outfit winning four of the five finals that took place during that time, they evoked the spirit of the great Real team of the 1950′s.
Premier League dominance came next, with Liverpool and Chelsea getting their hands on the trophy, but Real Madrid bounced back to lift the trophy in 2022. A victory over Liverpool in the final came after knocking out PSG, Chelsea and Manchester City en route to the final, in a remarkable European season for the Spanish side.
Champions League 2022/23 Key Dates
6/7 September: Group stage, Matchday 1
13/14 September: Group stage, Matchday 2
4/5 October: Group stage, Matchday 3
11/12 October: Group stage, Matchday 4
25/26 October: Group stage, Matchday 5
1/2 November: Group stage, Matchday 6
14/15/21/22 February: Round of 16, first legs
7/8/14/15 March: Round of 16, second legs
11/12 April: Quarter-finals, first legs
18/19 April: Quarter-finals, second legs
9/10 May: Semi-finals, first legs
16/17 May: Semi-finals, second legs
10 June: Final – Ataturk Olympic Stadium, Istanbul
Champions League Betting Offers and Enhanced Odds
You can be 100% certain that there will several Champions League Betting Offers and Enhanced Odds available throughout the tournament on every game.
Many of the major bookmakers will be looking to attract new custom by offering hugely inflated odds on the bigger games in particular.
Enhanced Odds are one of the most popular Champions League Free Bets available and you could get some very attractive prices.
Champions League Betting Markets & Specials
There are plenty of options when it comes to betting on the Champions League which includes:
- Match Result & Total Goals – if a team is a heavy favourite in a game, it can pay to back them coupled with a bet on the Total Goals in the match to improve the odds.
- Match Result & Both Teams to Score (BTTS) – another option when backing a big odds-on favourite is to look at the Match Result & BTTS. A consolation goal is always a distinct possibility once the result is beyond doubt.
- Asian Handicap – a good option with a heavy favourite, whether you expect them to win big or do just enough is the Asian Handicap.
- Accumulator – a favourite bet among many punters looking to bolster their odds. Can be lucrative, but it generally pays not to be too ambitious in the number of legs included in your bet.
All the betting markets available for any major league or cup competition will be on offer for Champions League betting so, in terms of long-term bets, as well as the ‘Outright Winner’ and backing the ‘Group Winners’ (or qualifiers) from the group stage, you can also back the ‘Top Goalscorer’ in the tournament.
On a game-by-game basis, there are all the usual markets available such as ‘Match Result’, ‘Correct Score’, ‘First Goalscorer’ and ‘BTTS’ (Both Teams To Score), but also look out for the likes of Asian Handicaps, Corner and Bookings betting and any Special bets and promotions offered, particularly enhanced odds that can provide some seriously inflated prices for new customers.
Champions League Betting Tips
Here at Freebets.com, you will always find the latest betting tips for Champions League from the best betting sites in the UK. We have daily tips, match previews and even tournament reviews and we cover the most popular European leagues, but also International leagues such as Nations League, World Cup, Africa Cup of Nations or Copa America.
Three Easy Steps To Get Champions League Free Bets
1. Choose a free bet; take a look at our extensive list of free bets, check the main conditions for wagering requirements and click ‘CLAIM IT NOW when you see an offer you like.
2. Register with the online bookmaker; complete the online registration form and enter the promotion code where appropriate, you’ll need to declare your payment details so have them handy. You must be able to trust your bookmaker with your financial details, Freebets.com only promotes reputable bookmakers and you can read our reviews in the Bookmakers section
3. Deposit some funds and place a bet; in most instances you can deposit as little as £5 or £10, but this will restrict the size of your free bet. We recommend starting out with the smaller free bet offers until you find your feet and go with those that match your first bet or deposit or even give you more than your first bet or deposit.
* Odds correct at the time of writing
Champions League Betting FAQ’s
How can I watch the Champions League live?
The Champions League will be screened live on BT Sport, which is a paid-subscription service.
What is the prize money for the Champions League?
For season 2021/22, the amount of prize money paid to each clubs is as follows:
Base fee for group stages - €15,640,000
Group match victory - €2,800,000
Group match draw - €930,000
Round of 16 - €9,600,000
Quarter-finals - €10,600,000
Semi-finals - €12,500,000
Qualifying for the final - €15,500,000
Winning the final - €4,500,000
Who are the favourites for the Champions League this season?
As we arrive at a new season of Champions League football, once again, Manchester City have been installed as the pre-tournament favourites with all bookmakers.
How many teams qualify for the Champions League from each country?
As of this season, driven to avoid the potential creation of a European Super League, UEFA have ruled that the top four clubs from the four top-ranked national associations (currently Spain, Germany, England and Italy) will receive guaranteed qualification automatically for the group stage. Other entrants are based on nations’ coefficients and navigating the play-off stages.