Each-way bets are wagers placed on a selection to either win or finish close to the front. Most typically found in horse racing, an each-way bet will see a return on a horse that finished first or second in five, six or seven runner races. Places one, two, and three are paid in races with eight to 15+ runners and handicap races with 16 or more runners will payout on horses that finishes amongst the first-four.
How To Use the Free Each Way Betting Calculator
If you’re looking to discover your potential return from an each way bet, our completely free each way betting calculator is the perfect tool for you.
Just follow these simple steps and you’ll get all the info you need…
- Stake: enter the amount you wish to stake on your each way bet (remember this will be doubled for an each way bet)
- Odds format: select the type of odds in which you want to display/play with (i.e. Fractional, Decimal, American)
- Place term: choose the place term which you are about to play. This is essentially the fraction of the odds you will win as part of the each way bet and will be noted by your bookmaker.
- Odds: enter the odds which the bookmaker is offering for your each way bet.
- Rule 4: select the Rule 4 cost. This is again noted by the bookmaker – it’s the amount that will be deducted from your winnings should a horse withdraw from the race.
- Result: select the outcome of the race you would like to discover your potential return for.
- Calculate: click calculate to uncover how much you will win from the bet.
Horse Racing 2023 Betting Offers
Bet £10 & Get £30 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- The world's favourite online sports betting company
- Bet365 offers an amazing App including Live Streaming
- The most comprehensive In-Play service
Bet £10 on Horse Racing, Get £40 in BonusesTerms & Conditions Apply
- Unique ‘Betfinder’ Feature
- Bet (winnings) calculator
- Live racing, replay of all UK races & plenty racing promos
Bet £10 And Get £30 In Free Bets +£10 Casino BonusTerms & Conditions Apply
- Huge number of sports betting options, bonuses and promos
- Live Horse Racing Streaming
- Betting blog & betting guide
Bet £5, Get £20 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- UK bookmaker that have a history dating back to 1927
- All racecourses at the Tote
- Racecards from all UK & IE
Bet £10 Get £40Terms & Conditions Apply
- Sports fixed odds, spread betting and casino on 1 account
- Great welcome bonus
- New Spread Betting Build Your Bet Feature
Get Each Way Extra at Bet365
How Does an Each Way Bet Work?
An each-way bet is in two parts. A £10 each-way bet, which will cost £20, will see £10 of stakes placed on the section to win and an additional £10 on the place part of the bet at a fraction of the win odds. Typically this fraction is 1/4 or 1/5th.
So a 4/1 winner with £10 each-way placed on it and each-way terms of 1/4 odds will receive a return of £70. If that selection finishes second the return will be £20. Don’t take our word for it, enter the odds, stakes and finishing position into our free bet calculator yourself!
What is Rule 4?
Rule 4 is a type of reduction that is applied to your winnings should a horse be withdrawn from the race.
The withdrawing of a horse affects the each way placing within a race because less horses will run than initially expected.
This means that if your horse places, your odds have got shorter because the field became fewer.
The amount Rule 4 will deduct from your winnings varies, although it will never exceed 90p in the pound. The amount deducted is based upon the odds you place.
For example, a longer shot at 10/1 would only see a deduction of 5p, while a 1/4 priced horse would see a deduction of 80p. Ultimately, the shorter the odds, the more Rule 4 will deduct from your wager.
The full list of deductions can be found below:
- 1/9 or less: 90p
- 2/11 – 2/17: 85p
- 1/4 – 1/5: 80p
- 3/10 – 2/7: 75p
- 2/5 – 1/3: 70p
- 8/15 – 4/9: 65p
- 8/13 – 4/7: 60p
- 4/5 – 4/6: 55p
- 20/21 – 5/6: 50p
- Evens – 6/5: 45p
- 5/4 – 6/4: 40p
- 13/8 – 7/4: 35p
- 15/8 – 9/4: 30p
- 5/2 – 3/1: 25p
- 10/3 – 4/1: 20p
- 9/2 – 11/2: 15p
- 6/1 – 9/1: 10p
- 10/1 – 14/1: 5p
Each Way Betting Offers
Here at Freebets.com, you will always find the freshest betting offers and promotions for Horse Racing Each Way from the best betting sites in the UK. Feel free to check out our horse racing free bets and promotions every day, and we will have a lot more offers during the major horse racing festivals such as Cheltenham Festival Betting, Grand National free bets, and Royal Ascot, Epsom Derby, and many more.
Tips & Strategies for Each Way Bet
When it comes to placing an each way bet on horse racing, there are a number of things you should consider.
Each way operates almost as an insurance policy on a horse you think will win a race or as a good option if you think an outsider has a chance of winning or having a good ride.
The best thing to do is study the form. If a horse is regularly picking up top three finishes, then an each way bet is a sensible bet.
Many punters also use an each way bet as a form of matched betting, with the place operating as your lay bet.
For the most part, a good strategy requires solid research. While each way gives you leeway on where your horse
finishes, it still needs to run well. Before selecting a horse consider the following:
- Pundits views
- Performances over course/distance
- Ground type (some horses perform well on soft ground, others firm)
- Trainer success
- Jockey riding the horse
These are just some of the factors involved.
Gather a full picture of the horse as part of your strategy and you’ll increase your chances of a win, never mind a place.