The 1000 Guineas at Newmarket comes on Guineas weekend, and alongside the 2000 Guineas, is one of the first two classics of the season and when you are ready to wager, here we have the best free bets for the 1000 Guineas.
The 2023 edition of the race will take place on Sunday May 7, 2023.
1000 Guineas Free Bets
When and Where is the 1000 Guineas?
Newmarket has staged the 1000 Guineas since its inception in 1814 and the race is traditionally staged on the last Sunday in April or the first one in May.
It receives substantial TV coverage on both mainstream channels, specialist ones such as Racing TV and can, of course, you can watch the race streamed via major bookmakers such as William Hill and Unibet.
How to Bet on the 1000 Guineas
Any 1000 Guineas betting tips during the winter months are basically the progress reports on the fillies, which turn three on January 1st and filter through the racing press.
As with the 2000 Guineas this race often has big fields and they can split into two during the 96 seconds this contest is normally run in. Overall fillies drawn low have had better results in the race in recent times.
Unlike the 2000 Guineas the historical stats indicate the most likely winner in 2020 will have previous won two or three times.
Other 1000 Guineas predictions, all based on previous form, include the winner having previously raced at Newmarket and having won a Group race as a two-year-old.
1000 Guineas 2022 Winner
The 2022 winner of the 1000 Guineas was Catchet, a horse that took the lead coming from the starting gates, and was never headed after that.
It was a great riding performance from James Doyle, who timed the run to perfection, managing to keep ahead of the field throughout.
1000 Guineas Form Pointers
Unlike the 2000 Guineas, the version of this race for colts, the winner of the 1000 Guineas will not necessarily come from one of the sport’s major stables. Some tiny yards have tasted success defying huge 1000 Guineas betting odds.
But the winners of the major Group 1 two-year-old races still do prove a key indicator, particularly the Prix Marcel Boussac staged at Longchamp Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe day. French trained fillies have a great record in this race winning it three times since 2008.
Other key trail races which have been fruitful in pinpointing 1000 Guineas winners include:
- Moyglare Stud Stakes at The Curragh
- The Vincent O’Brien National Stakes also at The Curragh
- The Debutante Stakes
- The Fillies Mile at Newmarket
- The Cheveley Park Stakes
- The Futurity Trophy
1000 Guineas Betting Offers & Free Bets
The 1000 Guineas is an eagerly anticipated betting race and most people can easily find a host of betting offers on this race especially as bookmakers try to play up a winning result on the preceding 2000 Guineas or get some of their losses back into their satchels.
Despite being a level-weights Group race some of the better online betting firms will be offering each-way terms that cover four positions. On that theme, place only betting has become more and more popular and companies like bet365 will also offer four-places amongst their ‘place only’ markets.
Recent 1000 Guineas Winners
|2013||Sky Lantern||9/1||Richard Hughes||Richard Hannon|
|2014||Miss France||7/1||Maxime Guyon||Andre Fabre|
|2015||Legatissimo||13/2||Ryan Moore||David Watchman|
|2016||Minding||11/10||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Brien|
|2017||Winter||9/1||Wayne Lordan||Aidan O'Brien|
|2018||Billesdon Brook||66/1||Sean Levey||Richard Hannon|
|2019||Hermosa||14/1||Wayne Lordan||Aidan O’Brien|
|2020||Love||4/1||Ryan Moore||Aidan O’Briem|
|2021||Mother Earth||10/1||Frankie Dettori||Aidan O’Brien|
|2022||Catchet||16/1||James Doyle||George Boughey|
1000 Guineas Betting Trends & Statistics (last 10 years)
- Form: 10/10 winners had at least four previous flat runs, 10/10 winners had at least two wins.
- Rating: 8/10 winners had a rating of 106 or higher.
- Group Wins: 8/10 winners had at least one victory in Group 1-3 race.
- Distance Form: 10/10 winners had at least one previous run over a mile, 4/10 had at least one win over a mile.
- Course Form: 8/10 winners had at least one previous run at Newmarket, 4/10 had at least one previous win at Newmarket.
- Season Form: 7/10 winners had at least one previous run that season.
- Starting Price: 1/10 winner went off the market favourite, 5/10 came from the top three in the betting.
1000 Guineas Facts
- Aidan O’Brien has trained six winners, Virginia Waters (1995), Homecoming Queen (2012), Minding (2016), Winter (2017), Hermosa (2019) and Love (2020).
- Ryan Moore has ridden the winner four times (2012, 2015, 2016 and 2020).
- Owner Hamdam Al Maktoum has won the race five times (1990, 1991, 1995, 2000 & 2009).
- Frankie Dettori has won the race three times (1998, 2002 & 2011).
- The Godolphin Stud has won the race three times (1998, 2002 & 2011)