Over three miles the Festival Novices’ Chase is a gruelling test for a novice chaser. With 20 fences jumping accuracy is a must and those involved at the finish are likely to have a say in major chase races moving forward.
Previously known as the RSA Chase, and now with the additional name of the Brown Advisory Chase, the Festival Novices’ is essentially the Gold Cup for novice chasers and plenty of future stars have cut their teeth in this before achieving greater things.
GET £40 In Bonuses when you stake £10Terms & Conditions Apply
- Special bets and promotions as their popular double delight offers
- Strong emphasis on UK and Irish markets
- Daily Odds Boosts and special prices
|When:||Wednesday 15th March, 2:10pm|
|Distance:||Three-miles & half a furlong|
|Race Type||Grade 1 Novice Chase|
|Weights:||11st 2lb (5yo), 11st 4lb (6yo+), 7lb allowance for mares|
|Where to watch?||ITV, Racing UK, Bookmaker Streams|
Festival Novices’ Chase Tips
A race that always throws up horses to watch out for in the future, potentially in the Gold Cup, but it is also a race that has a winner to be found on the day. It’s a great race for opinions this, and sometimes, the best horse in the race on the day, won’t be the one to take out of the race for the future.
Regardless of that, our tipsters will have their main focus on finding the winner of this contest and their Festival Novices’ Chase tips will be available to read on the site when they have finalised their selection.
Festival Novices’ Chase Betting Odds (January Update)
The betting market for this race currently has a wide open feel to it, and quite simply, that is because nothing has really come out from the pack to dominate things and lay down a marker.
Gaillard Du Mensil, Thyme Hill, The Real Whacker and Gerri Colombe are all towards the head of the market, all available between 6/1 and 8/1, but could also end up elsewhere at the festival, and until running plans are really firmed up, this market may struggle to really come to life.
What Happened in 2022?
The Festival Novices’ Chase of 2022 was a real test of stamina, and the strongest stayer in the field, L’Homme Presse, thrived under these conditions. The withdrawal of Bravemansgame changed the makeup of the contest, but the winner was brilliant, coming away to beat Ahoy Senor by three and a half lengths.
The Festival Novices Chase – Key Race Stats
- The finishing positions of the last eleven favourites reads as follows: 5,4,4,(2,4),1,3,1,1,3,3,1
- As you can see the Festival Novices Chase betting odds market normally gets this race right and the favourite is generally on the scene most years.
- Seven-year-olds have the best records in this race – 9 of the last 12 winners were aged 7
- Recent winners to break that mould are few and far between, including Star De Mohaison (2006), six-year-old Don Poli (2015) and eight-year-olds Might Bite (2017) and Champ (2020).
- Ireland has a strong recent record as expected but it’s fairly even between them and Britain, with Nicky Henderson having won this three times in recent years.
Previous Winners of the Festival Novices Chase
2022 - L’Homme Presse
2021 – Monkfish
2020 – Champ
2019 – Topofthegame
2018 – Presenting Percy