A stronghold for racehorses trained on home soil, previous winners have come in all shapes and sizes (aged 6 to 10 in the past decade). Statistically David Pipe is the most successful trainer having won this contest 3 times in the past 13 years.
Also known as the Festival Trophy Handicap, the Ultima often features past and future Grand National runners.
Jonjo O’Neill and David Pipe have both won the race 3 times, whilst Nicky Henderson and Alan King are just behind them on two victories apiece.
Each-way terms will be places 1-2-3-4-5 (and might be 1-2-3-4-5-6 with some online bookmakers) so looking for a big-priced each-way bet will be most people’s plan of attack in this one.
In 2021 Vintage Clouds, a 28/1 shot, won the Ultima Handicap Chase at the fifth attempt, causing the first upset of the Festival.
|When:||Tuesday 15th March, 14.30pm|
|Race Type||Handicap Steeplechase|
|Where to watch?||ITV, Racing UK, Bookmaker Streams|
|Key Betting Stats:||9 of the last 10 winners were aged between 7 and 9.|
Last Irish trained winner was back in 2003 so this is so this is a very good race for British trainers.
As the Cheltenham Festival draws closer, we will update this page with our full betting preview, the latest odds for the race and any other key info that punters need before they place their bets.
The Festival Handicap Chase
The Festival Trophy is a Grade 3 National Hunt steeplechase for horses aged five and older. Run over a distance of around three miles and one furlong on the Old Course, and there are 20 fences to jump. It’s a handicap event that takes place every year on the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival in March. The start time is 2.30pm
Festival Handicap Chase Key Stats
- Nine of the last 11 winners were aged between seven and nine.
- The last Irish trained winner was back in 2003 so this is a very good race for British trainers.
Previous Winners of the Handicap Chase
2021 – Vintage Clouds
2020 – The Conditional
2019 – Beware The Bear
2018 – Coo Star Sivola
2017 – Un Temps Pour Tout
2016 – Un Temps Pour Tout
2015 – The Druids Nephew
2014 – Holywell
2013 – Golden Chieftain
2012 – Alfie Sherrin
Cheltenham Festival 2022 Betting Offers
Bet £20, And get it Back as Cash if it LosesTerms & Conditions Apply
- Excellent football odds from leagues all over the world
- Fun promotional offers and incentives for all customers
- State of the art mobile app for betting on the go
Bet £10 Get £30 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- The world’s biggest betting exchange
- Fixed odds, cashback specials and bonuses added to winnings on multiple bets
- Wide range and coverage of daily enhanced odds offers
Bet £10 & Get £50 in Free BetsTerms & Conditions Apply
- The world's favourite online sports betting company
- Bet365 offers an amazing App including Live Streaming
- The most comprehensive In-Play service
Bet £10 Get £40 in free bets (Mobile Only)Terms & Conditions Apply
- Listed on the Stock exchange and licensed in UK and EU
- Wide range of William hill promo code offers when signing up
- Diverse range of games, betting and gambling
* Cheltenham betting odds 2022 correct at the time of writing
Cheltenham Festival Handicap Chase FAQ’s
What day is the Festival Handicap Chase at Cheltenham?
What distance is the Festival Handicap Chase at Cheltenham?
Who won the Festival Handicap Chase in 2021?
What time is the Festival Handicap Chase?
What is the purse for the Festival Handicap Chase?