The Cheltenham Gold Cup is run over three miles and two and a half furlongs, with 22 fences and an uphill finish.
It’s the biggest race of the whole Cheltenham Festival and the race every jockey, trainer and owner wants to win. The winner’s names are not just etched into a trophy but into the minds of racing fans for decades to come.
The contest itself is a true test of a chaser because not only does a horse need the ability to jump fluently, but it also needs the stamina to see out the race distance and manage the lung-bursting final incline.
We’ve got the latest Cheltenham Gold Cup betting odds below and our Gold Cup Day tips on our dedicated page!
|Friday, March 15th - 3:30pm
|Three-miles & two-furlongs
|Grade 1 Chase
|11st 8lbs (5yo), 11st 10lbs (6yo+), (7lb allowance for mares)
|Where to Watch?
|ITV Racing, Racing TV, Bookmaker Streams
Cheltenham Gold Cup Betting Offers & Free Bets
Cheltenham Festival Hub
Cheltenham Gold Cup Odds 2024
Odds for the Cheltenham Gold Cup are available all year round, but the market really starts to heat up from January onwards.
One key element to look out for is the various trial races that take place throughout the season, such as the King George VI Chase.
At the moment, last year’s winner, Galopin Des Champs, is the antepost favourite for the 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup, at odds of 6/5.
(Odds correct as of January 9, 2024)
Cheltenham Gold Cup Runners 2024
Check back nearer the time for a full list of the 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup runners.
Cheltenham Gold Cup Favourite Odds
Check back nearer the time for the latest 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup odds.
Cheltenham Gold Cup Tips
The one race that everyone wants to find the winner of, and our tipsters are no different. Whether you decide on the day or you already have your pick in place for the feature race, you will want to see what our tipsters fancy in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.
For now, check out our Cheltenham Betting Offers page for the best Festival offers.
What Happened Last Year?
The Willie Mullins-trained Galopin Des Champs won the 2023 Cheltenham Gold Cup, giving Mullins his third success in the race in the last five years.
Partnered by Paul Townend, Galopin Des Champs was sent off the 7/5 favourite for the race and put in a stunning round of jumping to take the win.
Townend was happy to stalk the leaders for the majority of the race before asking Galopin Des Champs to quicken as they approached two fences out.
The duo quickly took the lead and pulled away from Bravemansgame up the Cheltenham hill to land a popular victory with punters.
Interesting Gold Cup Facts Related to Odds
- In 2020, the favourite for the Cheltenham Gold Cup was Al Boum Photo, who was sent off at 10/3. He went on to win the race for the second year in a row, becoming the first horse since Best Mate in 2004 to do so.
- The odds for the Cheltenham Gold Cup can be influenced by many factors, including the horse’s recent form, their age and weight, the jockey’s record in big races, and injuries.
- One of the biggest upsets in the history of the Cheltenham Gold Cup came in 2008, when Kauto Star was beaten by the 33/1 outsider, Denman. Kauto Star had been the odds-on favourite for the race, but Denman’s superior stamina and jumping ability saw him come out on top.
- In 2018, the Cheltenham Gold Cup was won by Native River at odds of 5/1. He beat off competition from the likes of Might Bite and Our Duke, who were both considered strong contenders for the race.
- The odds for the Cheltenham Gold Cup can sometimes be influenced by the going conditions on the day of the race. If the ground is particularly soft or heavy, horses with a good record in those conditions may see their odds shorten.
- In recent years, there has been a trend towards backing horses with longer odds in the Cheltenham Gold Cup. This is partly due to the unpredictable nature of the race, as well as the potential for big payouts if a long shot comes in.
Previous Winners of the Cheltenham Gold Cup
We’ve listed the last 10 winners of the Cheltenham Gold Cup in the table below.
|Galopin Des Champs
|A Plus Tard
|Al Boum Photo
|Al Boum Photo
Who is favourite for the 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup?
Last year's winner, Galopin Des Champs, is the current antepost favourite to win the 2024 Gold Cup.
When is the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
The Cheltenham Gold Cup takes place on the fourth and final day of the Cheltenham Festival. In 2024 this will be on Friday, March 15th, with an off-time of 3:30pm.
What time is the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
The Gold Cup is the fourth race on the card. The official start time of the 2024 Cheltenham Gold Cup is at 3:30pm. (Local UK time).
Who won the 2023 Gold Cup?
The winner of the 2023 Cheltenham Gold Cup was Galopin Des Champs, ridden by Paul Townend and trained by Willie Mullins.
What is the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
The Cheltenham Gold Cup is a Grade 1 National Hunt horse race held at Cheltenham Racecourse in Gloucestershire, England. Run over a distance of approximately 3 miles 2 ½ furlongs, with 22 fences to be jumped, it is the feature race of the four-day Cheltenham Festival, and is the pinnacle of jump racing. The event takes place every year in March during the Cheltenham Festival.
Where can I watch the Cheltenham Gold Cup?
In the UK you can watch the Cheltenham Gold Cup live on ITV Racing or the subscription Racing TV channel. You can also watch Cheltenham races live via online bookmaker streams. For more information and live streaming links to watch all the Cheltenham races check out the Cheltenham Live Streaming page.
Who holds the record for the most Cheltenham Gold Cup wins as a jockey?
The jockey who has won the most Cheltenham Gold Cups is Pat Taaffe, who won the race four times as a jockey. He won the race in 1964, 1965, 1966, and 1968, riding the legendary horse Arkle on all four occasions.
Is the Cheltenham Gold Cup a flat race?
No, the Cheltenham Gold Cup is a National Hunt chase with 22 fences jumped.
More Cheltenham Tips
Check out our tips for all the other Cheltenham Day 4 races: