Hungary came so close to achieving what most people thought was impossible and making it out of Group F alongside France, Germany and Portugal.
A point against France gave them hope ahead of their final match against Germany but they ultimately could only earn a draw in Munich and two points was not enough to see them through to the Round of 16.
Hungary’s Euro 2020 Matches
|Match Tips & Odds||Date & Time||Stadium||Result|
|Hungary vs Portugal||June 15, 17:00||Budapest||L 0-3|
|Hungary vs France||June 19, 14:00||Budapest||D 1-1|
|Germany vs Hungary||June 23, 20:00||Munich||D 2-2|
Hungary then came through Path A of the qualifying play-offs, based on their record in the 2018-19 UEFA Nations League. They started the play-offs with a 3-1 victory against Bulgaria in Sofia, then squeezed past Iceland with a 2-1 win in Budapest to reach the finals.
Hungary were a goal down to Iceland for the vast majority of the game, but French-born defender Loïc Négo drew Hungary level in the 88th minute and Dominik Szoboszlai scored the winner in stoppage-time.
The draw for the Euro 2020 finals put Hungary in Group F and has been far from kind, with World Cup holders France, defending European champions Portugal and the ever powerful Germany their rivals in what was immediately dubbed the “Group of Death”.
Hungary Euro Betting Odds & Preview
It’s difficult to see how Hungary can progress from such a tough group, although they do have the benefit of playing their first two matches on home soil at the Puskas Arena in Budapest against Portugal and France.
After failing to qualify to a major tournament for 30 years, there have been definite signs of progress for Hungary in recent years, having now qualified for consecutive European Championship finals and secured promotion to the 2022-23 UEFA Nations League A.
The Magyars are a whopping 40/1 with SportNation to top Group F and 4/1 with BetVictor just to qualify (which could theoretically be achieved with a third place finish in the group).
Hungary’s Euro 2020 Odds
Given their group draw, it’s no surprise to see odds of 400/1 quoted by bet365* for Hungary to win Euro 2020.
The Magyars made hard work of qualification for the finals and the reality is that few will expect them to pick up any points against such heavyweight opposition.
There is hope though. There have been signs of progress in recent years after decades in the doldrums and they topped their group in the Euro 2016 finals ahead of Iceland, eventual champions Portugal and the much-fancied Austria, before going out to a strong Belgium team in the last 16.
Two matches on home soil gives them hope, domestic champions Ferencvaros qualified for the group stage of this season’s Champions League and, perhaps most importantly of all, they have a player in 20-year old midfielder Dominik Szoboszlai (who will be joining RB Leipzig in the summer) with massive potential.
Hungary Euro 2020 Squad
Hungary’s Italian manager Marco Rossi has named his Euro 2020 squad and here it is:
- GK: Peter Gulacsi (RB Leipzig)
- GK: Denes Dibusz (Ferencvaros)
- GK: Ádám Bogdán (Ferencvaros)
- DF: Bendegúz Bolla (Fehérvár)
- DF: Gergo Lovrencsics (Ferencvaros)
- DF: Attila Fiola (Fehervar)
- DF: Willi Orban (RB Leipzig)
- DF: Endre Botka (Ferencvaros)
- DF: Ádám Lang (Omonia Nicosia)
- DF: Attila Szalai (Fenerbahce)
- DF: Akos Kecskes (Lugano)
- MF: Loic Nego (Fehervar)
- MF: Adam Nagy (Bristol City)
- MF: Laszlo Kleinheisler (Osijek)
- MF: Filip Holender (Partizan)
- MF: David Siger (Ferencvaros)
- MF: Daniel Gazdag (Budapest Honved)
- MF: Andras Schafer (Dunajska Streda)
- MF: Tamas Cseri (Mezokovesd)
- FW: Roland Sallai (Freiburg)
- FW: Roland Varga (MTK Budapest)
- FW: Adam Szalai (Mainz)
- FW: Nemanja Nikolic (Fehervar)
- FW: Kevin Varga (Kasimpasa)
- FW: János Hahn (Paks)
- FW: Szabolcs Schön (Dallas)
* Euro football betting odds correct at the time of writing. All odds are subject to change.