Portugal fans who were hopeful that their team would hit their strides in the knockout stages just as they did in Euro 2016 were left disappointed as their team lost 1-0 to Belgium in the round of 16.
Cristiano Ronaldo and others toiled away on a hot summer’s evening in Seville but were unable to break down a stubborn Belgian back line as the defence of their title ended in disappointment.
Portugal Euro 2020 Matches
|Match Tips & Odds||Date & Time||Stadium||Result|
|Hungary vs Portugal||June 15, 17:00||Budapest||W 0-3|
|Portugal vs Germany||June 19, 17:00||Munich||L 2-4|
|Portugal vs France||June 23, 20:00||Budapest||D 2-2|
|Belgium vs Portugal||June 27, 20:00||Seville||L 0-1|
Their win over France in the final of Euro 2016 saw them secure their first ever major tournament title.
Subsequently, Fernando Santos’s team have struggled somewhat. They crashed out in the round of 16 of the FIFA World Cup and made relatively hard work of Euro 2020 qualification.
Portugal finished 2nd in Euro 2020 Qualifying Group B, three points behind group winners Ukraine. With 5 wins from 8 games, however, they finished comfortably above the likes of Serbia and Luxembourg to book their place in the finals.
They have been housed in Euro 2020 Group F alongside 2014 World Champions Germany, 2018 World Champions France and Hungary.
Portugal Betting Odds and Preview
As defending champions, Portugal will be desperate to stamp their authority at Euro 2020.
Despite laboring through qualifying, Portugal won the inaugural UEFA Nations League in 2019 and they have a habit of playing their best football on the biggest stages.
They do, however, find themselves in the ‘Group of Death’ at Euro 2020. They will be desperate to make their opening game count against Hungary before crucial clashes with France and Germany.
With so much quality in Euro 2020 Group F, picking a group winner between is tough. As defending champions, Portugal know what it takes to go all the way at the European Championships, and they will be desperate to get off to a fast start here. Portugal are a healthy 5/1 with bet365 to win Euro 2020 Group F*.
All three fixtures in the group will pose problems for Fernando Santos’s side but they will just be looking to assure themselves of progress to the knockout stages. Portugal are 1/4 with Paddy Power to progress from Euro 2020 Group F in any capacity*.
Portugal endured a difficult 2018 World Cup campaign but bounced back with an excellent win in the UEFA Nations League. They are one of the most resilient sides in the competition and are very hard to beat. Portugal are 8/1 with Betfred to reach the semi-finals or better at Euro 2020*.
Portugal Euro 2020 Outrights
- Portugal are vying to become only the second team to successful defend their European Championship title (after Spain completed the feat in 2008 & 2012). Portugal are 8/1 with bet365 to win Euro 2020*.
- Captain Cristiano Ronaldo needs no introduction as Portugal’s star player. The Juventus striker continues to blaze a trail at the very top of the game and his goal tally will have a direct impact on how Portugal fare at Euro 2020. Cristiano Ronaldo is 12/1 with BetVictor to win the Golden Boot at Euro 2020*.
Portugal Euro 2020 squad
Fernando Santos has named his Euro 2020 squad and here it is:
- GK: Anthony Lopes (Lyon)
- GK: Jose Sa (Olympiacos)
- GK: Rui Silva (Granada)
- DF: Jose Fonte (Lille)
- DF: Ruben Dias (Manchester City)
- DF: Joao Cancelo (Manchester City)
- DF: Nélson Semedo (Wolves)
- DF: Pepe (Porto)
- DF: Nuno Mendes (Sporting CP)
- DF: Raphael Guerreiro (Dortmund)
- MF: Joao Moutinho (Wolves)
- MF: Danilo Pereira (Paris Saint-Germain)
- MF: Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United)
- MF: Renato Sanches (Lille)
- MF: Ruben Neves (Wolves)
- MF: Sergio Oliveira (Porto)
- MF: Joao Palhinha (Sporting Lisbon)
- MF: William Carvalho (Real Betis)
- FW: Cristiano Ronaldo (Juventus)
- FW: Andre Silva (Eintracht Frankfurt)
- FW: Pedro Gonçalves (Sporting CP)
- FW: Bernardo Silva (Manchester City)
- FW: Gonçalo Guedes (Valencia)
- FW: Rafa Silva (Benfica)
- FW: Joao Felix (Atletico Madrid)
- FW: Diogo Jota (Liverpool)
*Please note all odds are correct at time of writing and are subject to change.