Slovakia put the cat among the pigeons by beating Poland in their opening match of Euro 2020.
However, they were then beaten by Sweden and absolutely threw in the towel after an incredible error from Martin Dubravka which led to Spain’s opener in a 5-0 loss.
Slovakia fans will feel a little aggrieved that they were one of just two third-placed teams who didn’t make it through but making it to Euro 2020 was the peak of their potential.
Slovakia Euro 2020 Matches
|Match Tips & Odds||Date & Time||Stadium||Result|
|Poland vs Slovakia||June 14, 17:00||St Petersburg||W 1-2|
|Sweden vs Slovakia||June 18, 14:00||St Petersburg||L 1-0|
|Slovakia vs Spain||June 23, 17:00||Seville||L 0-5|
Slovakia Betting Odds and Preview
Slovakia twice broke Irish hearts in the playoffs for Euro 2020 qualifying. First, they saw off the Republic of Ireland on penalties in Bratislava then they beat Northern Ireland in extra time in Belfast.
Qualification for Euro 2020 was much needed good news for Slovakia who finished bottom of their group in the UEFA Nations League B.
Slovakia’s poor form is reflected by their outright odds of 500/1 with BetVictor* to win Euro 2020.
Their chances have been made all the more difficult after being placed alongside Austra, Poland and Sweden in Group C for which they are 12/1 with bet365* to win.
- Slovakia’s sole prior appearance in the European Championships (as an independent nation) saw them make it to the Round of 16 in 2016 and they are 5/4 with BetVictor* to at least do likewise five years later.
- Marek Hamsik’s performances in Euro 2016 were critical to Slovakia’s progression and he will be key one more providing he is fit. However, it’s the pair of wingers, Robert Maka and Vladimir Weiss who could pose most of a goal threat.
Slovakia Euro 2020 Squad
The Euro 2020 squad for Slovakia has been named and here it is:
- GK: Martin Dubravka (Newcastle United)
- GK: Dusan Kuciak (Lechia Gdansk)
- GK: Marek Rodák (Fulham)
- DF: Peter Pekarik (Hertha Berlin)
- DF: Denis Vavro (Huesca)
- DF: Milan Skriniar (Internazionale)
- DF: Ľubomir Satka (Lech Poznan)
- DF: Tomáš Hubočan (Omonoia)
- DF: Dávid Hancko (Sparta Praha)
- DF: Martin Koscelník (Liberec)
- DF: Martin Valjent (Mallorca)
- MF: Marek Hamšík (IFK Göteborg)
- MF: Juraj Kucka (Parma)
- MF: Vladimir Weiss (Slovan Bratislava)
- MF: Robert Mak (Ferencvaros)
- MF: Ondrej Duda (Koln)
- MF: Patrik Hrosovsky (Genk)
- MF: Stanislav Lobotka (Napoli)
- MF: Lukas Haraslin (Sassuolo)
- MF: Laszlo Benes (Augsburg)
- MF: Jakub Hromada (Slavia Praha)
- MF: Tomas Suslov (Groningen)
- MF: Ján Greguš (Minnesota)
- FW: Michal Duris (Omonia)
- FW: Robert Bozenik (Feyenoord)
- FW: Ivan Schranz (Jablonec)
* Euro football betting odds correct at the time of writing. All odds are subject to change.